About the Archives
Find out how we collect and preserve the historical records of the area and how you can access the archives for research or study.
You can send us an enquiry (please include your name and address) by:
- Emailing email@example.com
- Phoning us on 01752 305940
- Writing to us at Plymouth and West Devon Record Office, Unit 3 Clare Place, Plymouth, PL4 0JW
Enquiries will be responded to within 20 working days. Please note that we cannot help with:
- General Freedom of Information requests for Plymouth City Council – please visit the general requests for information page for details.
- Research. Please see our list of independent professional researchers below:
Archive researchers [PDF]
The Plymouth and West Devon Record Office (PWDRO) produces detailed policies on various key aspects of our service. These policies are grouped into two areas:
Stewardship of archives
Our collecting policy, preservation of the records
What we do to provide an archive service and make the information in our care available to the public.
The most commonly requested policies are:
Our Search room is open four days a week and can be used by anyone free of charge, for their research and to make enquiries. Bookings are recommended.
Education, learning and outreach at the Plymouth and West Devon Record Office is carried out by the Arts and Heritage learning team.
Find out about the many forms of records held by us such as maps, diaries and organisational records.