The Friends of Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery (FPCMAG) is a registered charity whose principal purpose is to support the work of Plymouth Museums Galleries Archives and help acquire objects for public display.
We raise money through annual subscriptions and special events held throughout the year.
Since our establishment in 1951, these activities have enabled us to help the Museum acquire a wide variety of objects for its permanent collections and galleries. For more detailed information please visit our The Friends of Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery. You can also see images of our events on Flickr.
The Friends of Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery (FPCMAG) was founded on Tuesday 27 November 1951 with HRH The Duke of Edinburgh KG KT as patron. We celebrated our 60th anniversary in 2011.
The group was originally named the Friends of Buckland Abbey and Plymouth Museum and the Buckland Abbey and Plymouth Art Collections Fund. The first President was The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, the Vice President was Sir Harold Harmsworth and Viscountess Astor accepted an invitation to be a Committee member.
The object of the fund was to enrich the collections in the City Museum and Art Gallery and Buckland Abbey by the acquisition of suitable works of art and other appropriate material. Since that time we have raised several thousand pounds to support the work of Plymouth’s Museum service. The acquisitions that our support has helped with include:
- paintings and sketches of local scenes by famous Westcountry artists
- a Victorian longcase clock by a Plymouth clockmaker
- 18th century silverware by Plymouth craftsmen
- the Barstow collection of minerals from Devon and Cornwall
- locally discovered treasure items
- exhibition cases and gallery seating by Alan Peters OBE
- Reynolds sketchbook and portrait
Along the way we have also enjoyed a number of social events and activities both in and out of the Museum! These include private views, exhibition launches and visits to country houses, art galleries and museums.
We welcome new members and our subscription rates are very modest. For more information please visit the website of The Friends of Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery.
- £5 for students (if in full time education)
- £12 for single membership (£10 if paying by standing order)
- £18 for double membership if living at the same address (£15 if paying by standing order)
- £21 for family membership (£18 if paying by standing order
- £50 for corporate membership
- £75 for individual life membership
There are a number of benefits to being a member:
- Free admission to Smeaton’s Tower, Buckland Abbey and Mount Edgcumbe House
- Regular newsletters
- Advance information on future Museum on Tour events and exhibitions.
- Visits to a wide range of arts and heritage sites. Visit our Flickr site to see images of some of our most recent activities!
- Talks, lectures and study sessions
- Opportunities to volunteer and take part in the Museum’s activities
- Behind-the-scenes tours when available
- Social occasions where members who share a common interest and concern for their cultural environment can meet
- The opportunity to raise vital funds to support one of Plymouth’s foremost cultural organisations