The Friends of Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery (FPCMAG) is a registered charity whose principal purpose was to support our work and help us acquire objects for public display.
The Friends raised money through annual subscriptions and special events.
Since their establishment in 1951, these activities enabled the Friends to help us acquire a wide variety of objects for our permanent collections and galleries. You can see a selection of images of Friends’ events on Flickr.
The Friends of Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery (FPCMAG) was founded on Tuesday 27 November 1951 with HRH The Duke of Edinburgh KG KT as patron. They celebrated their 60th anniversary in 2011.
The group was originally named the Friends of Buckland Abbey and Plymouth Museum. The first President was The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, the Vice President was Sir Harold Harmsworth and Viscountess Astor accepted an invitation to be a Committee member.
The object of the fund was to enrich the existing collections by the acquisition of suitable works of art and other appropriate material. Since that time they have raised several thousand pounds to support acquisitions. These include:
- paintings and sketches of local scenes by famous Westcountry artists
- a Victorian longcase clock by a Plymouth clockmaker
- 18th century silverware by Plymouth craftsmen
- the Barstow collection of minerals from Devon and Cornwall
- locally discovered treasure items
- exhibition cases and gallery seating by Alan Peters OBE
- Reynolds sketchbook and portrait.
Along the way they have also enjoyed a number of social events and activities both in and out of the Museum. These include private views, exhibition launches and visits to country houses, art galleries and museums.