Feedback

Cottonian Collection

The outstanding Cottonian Collection is an internationally important collection of paintings, books, prints, ceramics, bronzes and sculpture.

A portrait of a well dressed man in the late 1700sThe collection’s story begins in seventeenth-century London when a wealthy merchant, Robert Townson (1640-1707), began collecting books and prints. Over the next two hundred years the collection was passed through the hands of six related gentleman who continued to buy new pieces for the collection.

Of these six men, it was Charles Rogers (1711-1784) who was the most active. He bought several hundred Old Master and English drawings and watercolours, thousands of rare prints, along with books, ceramics and sculpture. He also designed the beautiful furniture in which the collection is stored. Through his collection, he gained many famous friends and became well-known in London’s art collecting world.

Rogers’ great-nephew William Cotton III (1794 -1863) donated the collection to the people of Plymouth in 1853 ‘for the purposes of amusement and instruction by the inhabitants of the Towns of Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport and their vicinity…’ The collection was open to paying members of the Plymouth Proprietary Library, except for one day a week when non-members were allowed to view the collection.

In 1915, an Act of Parliament transferred the care of the collection to the Plymouth City Corporation and the Cottonian found a new home at the Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery. For over one hundred years, the collection has been on display to the public for free.

Black circular logo with Designated Outstanding Collection around the edge and a capital DDesignated status

The Cottonian Collection was designated in 1998, as a recognised collection of national importance. This scheme is administered by Arts Council England.