What's been achieved so far?
- The Heritage Lottery Fund has committed £15.8 million to the project
- Arts Council England has committed £4.2 million
- The Coastal Communities Fund has committed £2 million
- The Garfield Weston Foundation has committed £250,000
- The University of Plymouth has committed £150,000
- The Wolfson Foundation has committed £128,000
- Arts Council England has committed £4.1 million revenue funding for the years 2018 – 2022
- Building and construction work has now commenced on The Box site and a ‘Museum On Tour’ programme is under way in a range of venues and locations across Plymouth and beyond.
A considerable amount of work was undertaken to define the concepts and plans in the development phase.
Find out about the latest news for The Box and view our webcam!
Whilst The Box is in development, Plymouth Museums Galleries Archives is delivering offsite exhibitions including 'We The People Are The Work', events and projects as the Museum goes 'On Tour'.
Whilst the City Museum and Art Gallery’s building has now closed for the development of The Box, some of our collections are now on display in other venues.
Successful Round 1 bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for £12.8 million
Appointment of key staff and consultant teams
New Library plans agreed
Atkins, one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management firms, appointed to oversee the architectural and technical design for the building
Award-winning exhibition designers, Event Communications, appointed to lead the development of the content
Joint Library and History Centre consultations
Autumn 2015 and Spring 2016
More public consultation around Plymouth and beyond
Successful Round 1 bid to Arts Council England (ACE) for £4.2 million
Decant of the Museum and Art Gallery begins behind-the-scenes
Planning application submitted
Round 2 bid submission to HLF
Round 2 bid submission to ACE
Planning permission granted
Wolfson Foundation funding (£128,000) secured and Building Contractors appointed
HLF Round 2 funding secured
ACE Round 2 funding secured
Official ground breaking ceremony takes place and construction work begins
Garfield Weston Foundation funding secured (£250,000)
Arts Council England recognises the national role for The Box and awards £4.1m revenue funding spread over the 4 years 2018 – 2022
Major construction contract for £22.6 million is signed with award-winning construction and regeneration firm, Willmott Dixon. Construction work has begun, due to complete in late summer 2019
The Box is revealed as the new name for what had been provisionally entitled the Plymouth History Centre