Exhibition: The Unknown Knowns
March 29th 2019 - May 22nd 2019
Times: 10:00 - 17:00
10am to 5pm Monday to Friday
11am to 4pm Saturday
This is a partnership exhibition delivered by The Arts Institute and The Box, Plymouth
In a world where data is as valuable as land, how vigilantly are we protecting our most prized assets, and how much of ourselves is available on the open market?
By sharing our personal preferences, thumbprints and 3D face scans how easily can we be tracked and influenced and who is watching on the other side of the telescreen?
In ‘The Unknown Knowns’, Plymouth-based curator Vickie Fear brings together artists using appropriated material to expose hidden truths and ask questions about the world we live in. Starting with the work of three filmmakers commissioned by the Arts Institute in partnership with the South West Film & Television Archive in 2018, ‘The Unknown Knowns’ makes connections between artists who draw from a range of sources, including public archives and popular culture. Contained in these works are conversations about privacy, media influence, propaganda, colonialism and truth.
Are we living in a science fiction? What are we really scared of? And if the known unknowns are the things we know that we don’t know, what don’t we know that we know?
The following artists will be exhibiting in this exhibition: Chris Bailey and Ieuan Jones, Richard Broomhall, Margareta Kern, Tabita Rezaire, Marcy da Silva Saude, Erica Scourti.
- Bite Size: Fake Future Present with Jilly Payne – Wednesday 1 May at the Levinsky Gallery
You can also find out more about and book the following events via The Arts Institute’s website:
- Bite Size: Chris Bailey and Ieuan Jones: Of Monsters – Wednesday 4 April at the Levinsky Gallery
- Film: Selected IX – Thursday 2 May at the Jilly Craige Cinema
- Talk: The Unknown Knowns – Thursday 9 May at the Roland Levinsky Building
- Talk: Kakistocrat – Thursday 16 May at the Jilly Craige Cinema
- Film: The First Movie – Monday 20 May at the Jilly Craige Cinema
Roland Levinsky Building, Plymouth PL4